23 August 2010

cardboard




What kind of question is that?

"are you happy?"

with all acceptance and freedom and love and faith.

Turn around and look at the path you've beat down in the field you've traveled through.
lay in the broken blades of grass.
moisture soaks into your back as morning harmonizes with your previous choices an hour before.
you can't stop the world from spinning.
you can't stop your head from spinning.

Do you miss the way I looked at you?
You would drown.
Swimming so hard to hold on to some surface.
But you realized it. It took long enough.
There was no surface.
Nothing to grasp.
I'd sink deep.
You would sink deeper.

Then there were three.
Then there were two.
Then there were none.

The faucet kept dripping.
Your eyes kept blinking.
Our hearts keep beating.
your imagery. your words.
with trust
like rust
and love like northern pressure.

all i can say is never forget me.
all you can say is "never. never let anyone close that big open heart."

your filthy hand brushed my hair behind my ear.
my cardboard hands frayed your face.
the string i pulled below your left eye released everything you kept from me.
i set your lies free. you set my heart free.


your broken trust lays its palm on my cheek.
your overpowering love lays its cheek on my shoulder.
your shoulders are free without my weight of the world.



No comments: